Friday, March 11, 2011

Tsunami Warning!

We didn’t over react, the ocean under reacted.

If there would have been a Tsunami, we would have been ready. We had the truck packed and ready to go.

In the truck we had:
-1 tent
-2, 72-hour kits
-2 sets of clothing each
-2 pairs of shoes each
-1 jacket each
-3 pillows
-4 blankets
-4 cases of Vienna sausages
-4 cases of water
-1 spear gun, wet suit, and snorkel
-Fruits and vegetables
-2 knives
-More food- peanut butter, applesauce, ritz crackers, etc.

Our Timeline

8:00 p.m.- First heard that there might be a tsunami warning.

8:30- Started receiving more and more texts saying that we need to be ready

9:40- Picked up Jared and headed to Foodland for some last minute essentials; such as, water, Vienna sausages, fruits and vegetables, cereal, milk, and Progresso canned dinners

10:50- Arrived home and packed up some clothes and more essentials in case of a real disaster.

11:30- Went to the Aerin’s to say hello and goodbye.

12:15 a.m.- Headed to Pond’s Retirement community

12:30- Watched the news and waited.

1:30- Finally got Kylia tucked in and asleep. Waited some more

2:30- Started freaking out just a little.

3:05- Freaked out less when learning that nothing happened on Kaui

3:27- Completely stopped freaking out when nothing happened.

4:20- Finally laid down and got some sleep.

8:30- Kylia is ready to play

All in all, it was a crazy night. When we first heard the warning, we didn’t pay much attention. We soon learned that it was supposed to actually happen. As soon as we heard that it might be serious, we headed to the store to grab some things we were short on. The store was absolutely insane. It was completely packed and there were lines down all the aisles. The shelves were basically empty. By the time we got there, the water shelves were barren. In the back, I found some extra cases lying in a pile and grabbed some as soon as possible. Within about a minute of my finding the cases, all 20-30 were gone. While Jared waited in line with Kylia, I ran around grabbing some food that I thought might be needed for the next few days

As soon as we checked out, we headed home to pack up clothes, and anything else that we might need for a week in case of a serious disaster.

We went to visit Jared’s brothers real quick before heading out. We chatted for about 45 minutes and then headed over to what we thought was a safer location. We ended up staying the night at a Retirement community that was further inland and at a much higher elevation. Our friend worked there and scored us a room on the top floor. We piled beds in the room, blew up air mattresses, unpacked some food, and settled in for the night.

Most the night consisted of going up and down stairs to catch up on the news, chasing Kylia, and planning what we would do incase of a horrible tsunami.

We waited for the tsunami to hit the first island at 3:05a.m., but not much happened. At 3:30 a.m., nothing happened so we decided to just go to bed. At 7:30 a.m. they officially called off the tsunami warning and the retirement community started to clear out a little.

I think it was good that we had this “practice.” At least now we have a plan and everything that we would need in case of a disaster. Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. We were truly blessed that nothing happened.

1 comment:

Josh and Lauren said...

Oh I am so glad it wasn't bad and TOTALLY a learning experience! Josh and I need to get the rest of our emergency preparedness stuff--Utah could be next for an earthquake!